Monday, April 28, 2008

The Lawsuit

In our wonderful country of Canada our car insurance only pays for damages to the vehicle and any medical costs to the unfortunate victim. Any costs for pain, suffering and loss of enjoyment of life must be done through the courts. I really wrestled with this in the beginning. You hear so many people suing others for petty things. Even though I continued to struggle with it, I did contact a lawyer who was able to explain a lot to me.
I was not suing the driver personally. His insurance would pay whatever damages were awarded.
It seems that the threshold for 'pain and suffering' is very high in Canada. We have to prove that there is a significant loss to a vital part of our body. Do I qualify? If the award is $100,000. or less, the government takes 30% off the top. Anything over $100,000. the government doesn't take anything.
As time went by, and as my impediment grew obvious, the struggle was not such a struggle. Damn straight I deserve something for pain and suffering. It has been a long six months. I am sure I will be left with some pain for the rest of my life.
I had a meeting with my lawyer today to update him on the progress etc. He will gather reports from all concerned. He wants me to have an xray on my 1 year anniversary to see if arthritis is developing. The question remains (and is a little doubtful), do I qualify for having significant loss of a vital part of my body. I think I do.

No comments: