Thursday, May 29, 2008

Screwed!

It is becoming increasingly obvious that these screws have to come out. My foot aches always. There are strange stabs of pain once in a while. Walking hurts all the time. I can compensate for my foot but that hurts my knee. The only way to know what is causing the pain is to rule out everything. That starts with the screws. I was hoping I wouldn't have to to do this. I don't want to hurt again.
I think I was so happy not to be in a wheel chair or need crutches that all was rosy in Feb/Mar. Now that nothing has changed since then it has become very frustrating.
When we went up to Southampton on the weekend I spent about an hour or so in a fleemarket and my foot was a swollen, achey mess. Very frustrating.

3 comments:

marg said...

I have been following your progress since I had the same injury 4 months ago. I had the screws (3) removed a month ago and the pain was nothing compared to what you have been throught. I couldn't walk for a day but am slowly improving. Good luck

Kim said...

I would love to talk to you more. I haven't met anyone with this injury and would love to hear your story.

marg said...

Hi I suffered my Lisfranc injury on 3/2/08 and had surgery on 7/2/08. I slipped on rocks around my pool and my foot got wedged between two rocks. I had 3 screws inserted and was out of hospital on 10/2/08. I am married with 3 girls and my life was thrown into chaos. I was in a cast for 6 weeks non weight bearing and a boot for 6 weeks with gradual weight bearing with crutches. I then went into hospital for day surgery to have the screws removed about 4 weeks ago. The next day was pretty sore but it improved quickly after that. My surgeon thinks the screws are best removed after 12 weeks because the screws can bend or break and this makes it more difficult for them to be removed. I go back in about 3 weeks for an xray to make sure everything has stayed in place, etc. It has gradually improved over the last few weeks but I still limp and the swelling has still not settled down. The swelling is much better than it was before the screws were removed but I have been told it can take a year to settle down. My surgeon did not give me a very good prognosis originally due to the severity of the injury but he is now more optimistic. I have had no physio yet as my flexibility is good and they will reassess it when I have the xrays in 3 weeks. I cannot wear heals which really annoys me and trainers are the only shoes that feel comfortable at this stage. I am hoping this will not always be the case. I am determined to walk normally again! Good luck with the screw removal. Marg